Watch this video to find out how to make this recipe. Click to subscribe for more recipes.
250 grams boneless mutton
1½ cups rice, soaked for 20 minutes
½ inch cinnamon
1 star anise
2-3 green cardamoms
2-3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
3 tablespoons ghee + for greasing
Salt to taste
1½ cups coconut milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 green chillies
4-5 garlic cloves
1 inch ginger
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1 medium tomato, chopped
½ cup yogurt
2 medium onions
½ cup cashewnuts
¼ cup raisins
10-12 sprigs fresh coriander
Garam masala powder for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven at 180ºC.
2. Marinate mutton pieces with salt, turmeric powder and garam masala powder and pressure cook till well done.
3. Grind together cinnamon, star anise, green cardamom, torn bay leaves, cloves and fennel seeds to a coarse powder.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a non-stick pan. Add rice, mix and lightly sauté for a minute. Add 1 tablespoon prepared powder and salt and mix well. Add 1½ cups water and 1½ cups coconut milk and mix well. Add lemon juice, mix, cover and cook on low heat till rice is done.
5. Heat 1 tablespoonghee in another non-stick pan. Add chopped onion, mix and sauté till golden.
6. Grind torn green chillies, garlic, ginger, poppy seeds and salt to a fine paste. Add some water and grind again.
7. Add prepared paste to the onion mixture, mix and cook for a minute. Add tomato, mix, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add salt and yogurt, mix, cover and cook till done.
8. Heat remaining ghee in another non-stick pan.
9. Slice onions and sprinkle some salt and mix well.
10. Add cashewnuts to the hot pan and fry till golden. Drain into a bowl. Similarly fry raisins.
11. Fry sliced onions in the same pan cook till theycaramelize. Drain on absorbent paper.
12. Add cooked mutton with water into yogurt mixture, mix and cook on high heat till water reduces.Reduce heat and cook further.
13. Chop coriander sprigs and add ¾ to the pan.
14. Take a glass baking dish and grease with some ghee. Layer with some prepared rice, half prepared mutton and repeat the procedure again. Top with remaining rice and even the layer. Top with fried cashewnuts, raisins and caramelized onions and sprinkle garam masala powder and remaining chopped coriander. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
15. Place the baking dish on a baking tray, put the tray in the preheated oven andbake for 25 minutes.
16. Serve hot.
Preparation time: 25-30 minutes
Cooking time: 60-70 minutes
Click to Subscribe: http://bit.ly/1h0pGXf