Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Mansaf the Jordanian National Dish



Published on Jul 8, 2016
Mansaf the Jordanian National Dish المنسف الاردني

https://www.instagram.com/hafeezzaboor/

I dedicate this recipe to my dear sister Dr. Gladis and her family. My sister is married to a Jordanian. I hope I made it the right way! Of course it won’t be tasty as hers but I tried my best :). I used ready Jameed from Middle eastern store but she uses the real deal. It is a traditional Jordanian dish made of lamb cooked in a sauce of fermented dried yogurt (Jameed) and served with rice. It is often eaten with hands. It is mostly served in the weddings and special occasions. I have made this recipe with chicken before (link below) but this time I made it with lamb meat. The authentic way is to use lamb meat. It is easy and delicious but it needs a few steps. My Love and respect to my dear sister . Ok Now let start :).

The ingredients

One Box of Jameed ( I used half about 2 cups)
2-3 cups of plain yogurt. Thick and sour
2-3 pound of lamb pieces bone in.
2-3 inch cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
2 to 4 cloves
2 to 4 whole cardamom .
4 to 6 whole black peppercorn.
one small onion cut in half
Almonds slivered or pine nuts fried in a little of oil and set aside.
1-2 tsp turmeric
Chopped parsley about 1 cup
4 cups white rice. You have to use Long grains.
Shrak or lavash Bread
salt to taste
oil



Steps:-

1-How to cook the lamb meat :-

1-In medium pot put meat pieces and water to cover the meat and bring to boil on high heat.
2- When the water comes to boil discard the water and wash pieces of meat and the pot.
3- Put back pieces of meat and clean water in the pot and cook over high heat.
4- Add whole spices, onion and ½ tsp of turmeric and cover.
5-When the water comes to boil reduce the heat to low-medium.
6-Cover and cook for about 1 ½ to 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
7- Add salt in last ½ hour of the total of the cooking time. Don’t add a lot of salt to the meat just about 1 tsp because the yogurt sauce is salty already.

2-How to cook the yogurt and jameed sauce:-


1-Mix Jameed, yogurt well.
2-Add about 2-3 cups of the meat broth and mix very well. Depend how thin or thick you like your sauce to be.
3-Cook over low-medium heat with stirring constantly until the mixture comes to boil.
4-Add meat pieces and continue cooking and stirring until it is boiling for about 15 minutes or until it reaches the consistency of your desired.

3-How to cook the rice:-

1-Wash the rice a few times until the water run clear.
2-Soak in the water mix with 1 tsp turmeric for about 15 minutes.
3-Add about ½ cup oil to a medium pot and heat it over medium heat.
4-Add the drained rice over the heated oil and mix well about 3 minutes.
5-Add boiling water and 2 tsp of salt. For each cup of rice add 1 ½ cup water. Don’t add too much salt because the yogurt sauce is already salty.
6-Keep boiling until most of the water is absorbed then lower the heat and cook for about 20 minutes.


To serve:

• Place the bread on a big platter.

• Ladle on enough Jameed and yogurt sauce to make the bread at the bottom moist.

• Top the bread with the rice.

• Place meat pieces on top of the rice.

• Decorate with pine nuts or almonds and chopped parsley.

• Pour the rest of the sauce into a large bowl for serving on side .

Enjoy:)

Please support me and subscribe! I would love to help you with new recipes each week! Help put me out and give me a try! Your Subscription does make a difference! It means a lot to me and I'd really appreciate it! So Subscribe and try my channel for at least a couple of months and if it's not for you, then at least you helped me out! Thanks in advance and Thanks Soo Much For Watching! x

No comments:

Post a Comment